Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
It is extremely important to always be alert and aware of situations that can happen unexpectedly. For instance, for a fire you should always have a plan. SERVPRO of San Jacinto/Idyllwild/Lakeview wants to help prevent and offer awareness on safety tips when handling a fire.
Fire safety is important as it saves lives, prevents injuries, and can even help save structures when everyone is aware of what is needed to be done.
- Install smoke alarms inside and out of sleeping areas.
- Escape plan
- Safe meeting place
- Stay low and close doors behind you to stop spread of fire and smoke
- Get out, stay out, and call for help
- Call SERVPRO of San Jacinto/Idyllwild/Lakeview. We're specialized in fire damage cleanup and restoration.
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (951) 344-6114
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.